The Trusted Family Law Legal Team

Children are entitled to financial support from the non-custodial party after a divorce is finalized. It may come about however, that you need to alter how the child support was ordered by the judge. In this case, you will need to substantiate that a “change in circumstances” has occurred since the order was put into effect.

Examples of Needing to Modify Child Support Include:

  • The incomes of either parents has changed.
  • One parent has lost their job.
  • One parent has been incarcerated.
  • One parent had another child from another relationship.
  • The amount of time that the child spends with each parent has changed considerably.
  • Costs for things such as the child’s healthcare and education have increased or decreased.

If you require an alteration in the amount of child support you are paying, if the other parent agrees, a written stipulation of the change may be presented to the judge for signature at which point it will become the new order. If the parents cannot agree, one of the parties must file a motion with the court and ask for a modification.

It can be very difficult to manage a change in the amount of child support you are paying without experienced legal representation. The way child support is calculated depends on more than one parent’s income. A request to lower child support may actually result in an increase in the support you owe if your time with your child has decreased and the other parent has lost their job.

Fresno’s Child Support Modification Professionals

If a modification of your child support is in your best interests, please call my firm at (559)222-4891 . At the Law Offices of Rick D. Banks, we can help you determine if a change is possible and walk you through the steps to petition the judge for a signature.